Sunday, January 14, 2007

Refilled Battery and Added Two Quarts of Oil


mileage = 72300mi

Wow, only 2200 miles or so since my last oil change and the level was below the L line on the dipstick. After adding a quart, the level got up to the L line, so I added another quart. The second quart was a little bit high, but only a quarter of an inch over the H line so I didn't drain oil. I was worried because oil overfill can cause big problems with the engine. After driving a few miles everything seemed to be okay. I will have to investigate why the oil is so low and so black considering I haven't even gone 3000 miles since my last oil service.

While under the hood, I noticed that the battery fluid level was below the low line so I got some distilled water to fill it up a bit. After doing some reading, distilled water is necessary because it doesn't have any trace metals or chemicals, unlike tap water. There are six little caps on the battery and I needed pliers to unscrew them. Using a funnel, I filled all six holes in the battery with distilled water, but this brought it over the high line. After overfilling the battery, I took a turkey baster to pull some water out of each of the holes. This brought the level back in range and I screwed all six caps by hand.

No comments: